Stainless steel has the unique reputation of being the best in the category of cookware. It is made use of in nearly all houses worldwide as well as by chefs. There are a number of reasons why stainless steel pans are considered to be an excellent choice. This, however, does not take away the fact that there are a number of negatives; however, they are subdued by the numerous benefits,
Are Stainless Steel Pans Oven Safe ?
The big question that many people ask is “are stainless steel pans oven safe?” the answer to this is quite simple, “yes!” Stainless steel has a tendency to be quite tough. They are known not to chip, stain or even rust. In addition to this is the fact that they are scratch and dent resistant. What this means is that it is quite difficult to destroy. This further implies that it is quite easy to get cleaned up. It is also interesting to note that it is generally quite safe to use in a dishwasher as well as in refrigerators and others.
Using Stainless Steel To Bake
Before you put the stainless steel pan in the oven, ensure that you grease the pan. Due to the high temperature that your pan experiences as you bake, there is always a high chance the food will get stuck on the pan when compare with cooking on a stove. Also, it is advisable that you make use of parchment paper as against getting the baking sheet greased so as to prevent using added fat for the baking.
Safety Precautions To Note
A number of stainless steel pans usually have rubber handles which remain cool, even in the event that the pan is quite hot. Select this if it is possible more especially if you have kids helping out with the cooking. If however you already have good pans, you may go ahead and purchase safety handles which you may put on the metal handles. It is, however, advisable that you are careful when making use of the rubber handle as it can slide off which can be quite disastrous.
Advantages Of Making Use Of Stainless Steel Cookware
There are quite a number of reasons why stainless steel cookware has the unique reputation of being the number one choice. The inherent advantages of making use of stainless steel for kitchen purposes are quite numerous. Below are some reasons why it stands out among others:
- Ability to transfer heat: for top quality stainless steel cookware, more often than not, a copper or aluminum base is made use of with a view to making its heat transfer ability better. What this does is that it makes sure that the food is evenly cooked. The simple fact is that when stainless steel cookware is properly made, its properties can be quite difficult to match or even beat.
- It is quite durable: stainless steel cookware has the unique reputation of being very much durable. What this means is that they are quite tough. They do not easily rust, stain or chip.
- They help preserve flavor: unlike other cookware, stainless steel is known not to leach off its inherent metallic properties into the food being cooked. What this simply implies is that the cookware does not in any way have an impact on the overall flavor of the food.
- It can be recycled: what’s more? Stainless steel has the reputation of being recyclable. What this means is that if the pan gets damaged through whatever means, it can be rescued using other means. For those who have concerns about waste, stainless steel is greatly favored.
- Outlook: stainless steel is quite good looking and quite easy to retain the outlook.
When stainless steel cookware is chosen, there are some cleaning tips that can come into play. In general, stainless should be washed after use to avoid any potential, no matter how small, for staining. Basic sink or dishwasher cleaning will work. To make sure the finish stays beautiful; use a regular metal cleaner on the outside of the pan. Stuck on food will generally come off with a little elbow grease. Soap and steel wool generally do the trick.
Stainless steel cookware is a great all around purchase. It’s favored by home cooks and professional chefs all over the world for its durability, beauty and food taste preserving qualities. Although the best cookware might be more expensive than other options, many feel the expense is well worth it
What Makes Stainless Steel Pans The Ideal Choice?
People generally have the impression that as good as stainless steel pans are, they are quite difficult to use. This belief is often strengthened with the belief that it can be quite difficult to clean the mess left by food that sticks.
This belief is what makes quite a number of people stay attached to nonstick cookware. What they do not know is that what it takes is some practice with stainless steel. The reality on the ground is that nonstick pans are not as good as stainless steel pans.
How Do You Handle Making Use Of Stainless Steel Pans Without It Sticking?
It may come as a surprise to you that you can get food cooked without it getting stuck to the skillet. Here are some useful tips that should help you avoid stickiness while you are cooking.
Maintain the food at room temperature
One major reason why food may get stuck to the pan surface may be because the food is quite cold. The simple theory is that if you remove fish from the fridge and instantly put it in a pan, chances are high that it would get stuck. What the cold does is to lower the temperature of the oil thus leading to sticking. Also, if there is any form of moisture on the surface of the food, it will also get stuck due to the fact that the oil temperature will be reduced.Hence, it is advisable to carry your food from the fridge and allow it to attain room temperature before you begin cooking.
Get the pan and oil heated up
It is advisable that you get the oil properly heated up before you begin cooking. A large number of people are known to prefer pre-heating the pan and once it gets to the ideal temperature, oil is then added. It is also advisable that you get the pan seasoned by heating it up until smoke comes up. Get the excess oil wiped off the moment the pan gets cooled down. What this gives you is a natural layer that is nonstick which prevents the pan surface from reacting with the item being cooked.
The ideal time to add the food
The next big question that comes to the mind of many is the question of when exactly to add the food? There is also the question of how to know when the oil is actually hot enough? The simple truth is that there is really no general rule guiding the length of time it requires before the oil gets hot enough before the food can be added. The simple reason for this is due to the skillets being made use of. As a result of the diverse construction for the different cookware, you may have to go for what actually functions best for you. One other thing to consider is the fact that your stove setting may be quite different from other ones due to the fact that what you consider as medium-low heat may be medium for others.
Don’t get the food turned too soon
You should take note of the fact that food may get stuck to the surface if you attempt to turn it before it gets ready. It should be noted that your food will not be burnt if there is some measure of moisture left in it and there would be a sizzling sound. The moment the sizzling begins to reduce, you may attempt to get the food turned over.
You will, however, need to have the whole process properly monitored. The reason is that your food may get burnt quite fast the moment the sizzling ends due to the fact that when there isn’t any more water in the food, there will be a rise in the oil temperature.
Between Stainless Steel And Cast Iron, Which Is The Best For Cooking?
Comparatively speaking cast iron pans and stainless steel pans are pretty good. However, there are quite a number of reasons why people tend to prefer stainless steel over cast iron. Here are a few of them:
- As handsome as Cast iron may be, it can be quite expensive to maintain. Even though you may purchase it pre-seasoned, you need to ensure that you get it cleaned to the seasoning maintained with oil.
- Foods that are high in acids can have an effect on a cast iron pan that is not properly seasoned. What this simply means is that if you have not made use of your cast iron pan for a long while, you may begin noticing a strange taste when you are cooking food like wine sauces. A stainless steel pan, on the other hand, would not have an effect on the flavor of what you are cooking except the ones you add.
- If you have ever had to carry an iron cast pan filled with stew, you would realize just how heavy they can be. The kitchen isn’t a gymnasium where you are to work out, it should be for cooking! Stainless steel pans are quite lighter and easier to carry.
- Stainless steel pans are quite sleek and they can easily blend with whichever kitchen style that is available. This is unlike cast iron which has an inherent outdoor quality.